Although it is visually dominated by large Victorian homes and a downtown area constructed from the 1880s to the 1920s, the district, besides many neighborhoods of gingerbreaded "doubles" that were essentially working-class housing, includes several notable structures dating from the 18th century and early Federal period.
One of these is Potter's Tavern, said to have been built in the 1750s, but restored to its appearance in 1776 when it was home to The Plain Dealer, considered New Jersey's first newspaper. 1855), administrative home of the Cumberland Nail & Iron Works that established Bridgeton's industrial prowess in the early nineteenth century.
Please join Bishop Clarence Langston and Pastor Robyn Langston for a celebratory ribbon cutting ceremony and grand opening worship service.
Bridgeton is a city in Cumberland County, New Jersey, United States, in the southern part of the state, on the Cohansey River, near Delaware Bay.
It derives its name from the original movable bridge that offered the option of regular overland travel on the "King's Highway" across the Cohansey watershed region for the first time in 1716.
The name is believed to have been changed from Bridge-towne to Bridgeton in 1816-1817 due to a printing error on documents published by the Cumberland Bank.
Bridgeton Historic District covers a quarter of the city and includes more than 2,000 properties.
These mighty men of God will usher us into our next level of Ministry and y'all are invited.
Please join us the week of November 12th-16th as we celebrate our grand opening, with a ribbon cutting ceremony and worship service.
Bridgeton is divided into three sections, Northside, Southside and Hillside.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city had a total area of 6.431 square miles (16.656 km Bridgeton borders Upper Deerfield Township, Hopewell Township, and Fairfield Township.